Rakta dhatu is the second tissue according to Ayurveda, and is translated as blood.
Mula Sthana – Liver, Spleen (acoording to Vagbhata* – Bone Marrow).
Upa-dhatus – Blood vessels and tendons.
Mala – Pitta.
Amount – 8 Anjali.
Blood has the colour of gold, strong smell, it is liquid, red, light and of a throbbing movement. The blood protects Prana (the vital life force), and makes it move throughout the body. It is in charge of a normal complexion and gives a feeling of energy.
Blood has its metabolism which takes place in the spleen. The spleen is divided into two pulps – the Red Pulp and the White Pulp.
Red Pulp – in charge of metabolism of the Red Blood Cells (RBC).
White Pulp – in charge of production of the White Blood Cells (WBC) and immunity.
Rakta Dhatu Sara
- Ears, Lips, Nose, Nails, genitals – are red.
- High intelligence.
- Lots of energy.
- Long life span.
- Intolerance towards heat and long physical effort.
Rakta Dhatu Vrridhi
- Swollen vessels.
- Breath resembles blood smell.
- Lack of sleep.
- Heartburns and headaches.
- Proneness towards bleeding.
- Skin diseases such as Acne, Abscess.
- Normally over consumption of heating foods will result in Rakta Dhatu Vrridhi (Yoghurt, Aged cheese, fasting).
- Rakta Mokshana – blood letting, either by leeches or donating blood.
- Virechana – Purgation therapy.
Rakta Dhatu Kshaya
- Lack of luster of the skin.
- Vessels feeling empty.
- Dry skin.
- Cold feet and hands.
- Craving towards meat and sour foods.
- Blood transfusion.
- Animal blood enema.
- Black raisins, beetroot, pomegranate.
• Remember : Pitta is the waste of this tissue, hence problems relating to Pitta will show in this Dhatu as well.
* Vagbatha – wrote Ashtanga Hridayam a corpus on Ayurveda. Came after Charaka and Sushruta.
• Information : Dr. Vasant Lad.